History to be found at the Fifth Regiment Armory
The Fifth Regiment Armory was designed by architects Wyatt and Nolting in 1901 and opened in 1903. It was the first armory built by the State of Maryland for the National Guard at a cost of $300,000. It is the largest of the 37 armories in the state and it is also a historic landmark. The armory was the site of the National Democratic Convention in 1912, which nominated Woodrow Wilson for President. A fire destroyed much of the armory in 1933. The armory currently houses an extensive museum of Maryland National Guard artifacts.