The Oxford Bellevue Ferry, which began service in November of 1683, connects the eastern shore towns of Oxford and Bellevue and is believed to be the oldest privately owned ferry route in the United States. Captains Tom and Judy Bixler bought the ferry, “Talbot,” in January of 2002. The ferry runs 7 days a week from April through November (although only on weekends in November) making continuous crossings on a 3/4 mile stretch of the Tred Avon River every 15-20 minutes. The ferry can hold nine cars as well as foot passengers and bicycles, motorcycles and recreational vehicles. It runs from 9 in the morning until sunset.
Barbara Haddock Taylor
The McDaniel Summer Music Camp, which is held on the campus of McDaniel College, is Maryland’s longest-running music camp for middle and high school students. This year, the camp is celebrating its 30th anniversary with a performance of a newly commissioned work by composer Jay Bocook.
In 1976, Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens founder John Armiger Sr. set aside 330 burial spaces for members of the Maryland public safety community who have lost their lives in the line of duty. Ten years later, his son John Armiger Jr. created Fallen Heroes day, an annual ceremony that formally honors them and their families. Over the years, 171 fallen heroes have been honored since that first ceremony in 1986. Of those, 100 have been law enforcement officers and 71 have been fire fighters. Ten are women.
“My library,” said Enoch Pratt, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color.” The Enoch Pratt Free Library central branch, at Cathedral and Franklin Streets, was built during the Great Depression and opened in 1933. Over the next few years, it will be completely renovated into a library for the 21st century. Except for one important item. On the library’s second floor, a fireproof steel vault, made by York Safe and Lock company of York PA, keeps many of the library’s treasures from its special collections safe and secure. The vault will be left as it is, although the items inside will be stored in a safe location during the renovations.
The Samuel D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry, which opened in 1996, is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution that is operated by the University of Maryland School of Dentistry. The museum’s extensive and fascinating collection includes thousands of items such as drills, extractors, antique mouthwash bottles, toothpaste tubes and antique dental chairs.