What’s a 19th-century blacksmith shop doing in the middle of Baltimore? That’s the question on the mind of many visitors who wander into G. Krug & Son, a blacksmith shop on Saratoga Street near Lexington Market. The owner once boasted that there can hardly be a building in Baltimore that doesn’t contain something from his shop, even if it was only a nail.
From the Vault
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency in Ellicott City following heavy flooding there last night. “It seems that Ellicott City has come in for an inordinate amount of disasters from floods, fires and railroad wrecks since its founding in 1772,” Fred Rasmussen wrote in The Sun in 2012.
Until 1963, streetcars zigged and zagged their way through the streets of Baltimore, carrying passengers from jobs in Sparrows Point to homes on Edmonson Avenue, or on day trips to the beach at Bay Shore Park. In the days before air conditioning, the “cool-off” ride program let Baltimoreans escape the heat of their homes by riding breezy streetcars — unlimited rides for one set fare.
“Kids these days!” is the perennial judgment of anyone over thirty of anyone a day younger. Today it’s millennials and their trigger warnings, yesterday it was slackers and their grunge music, and the day before that it was surfers, those dangerous hooligans, reigning terror over America’s beaches with their great bodies and their lack of ambition.
Gargoyles, bay windows, columns — links to the past are engraved in Baltimore’s architecture. Longtime Sun photographer Robert Kniesche was fascinated by such designs and documented them in a series called “This is Baltimore,” which ran in The Sun on Thursdays throughout the 1960s.
Trigger warning, Terps fans.