The Darkroom caught up with instagrammer Devon Doane, aka @devilsdetails, about her Boston Terrier Omar, Instagram do’s and don’ts and the craziest thing she’s seen on Instagram.
INSTAGRAM HANDLE: @Devilsdetails
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
I am an attorney with a creative streak who, up until recently, spent a lot of my free time walking an extremely energetic little dog all over southeast Baltimore in a futile effort to wear him out… I took a lot of pictures in the process.
IN ONE SENTENCE DESCRIBE YOUR INSTAGRAM FEED:
I think my Instagram bio says it pretty well, “Baltimore and beyond with a Boston Terrier.”
TECHNICAL EQUIPMENT SETUP (PHONE TYPE, ANY LENSES USED, DSLR/ANALOG CAMERA TO PHONE, I.E.)
All of the photos on my Instagram feed thus far have been taken with my iPhone 4, or a few with an iPad. I shoot and edit most pictures with the Camera + app, then do a second edit with the Instagram filters.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS TO SHOOT:
Clearly, the dog does a lot of modeling for me. When he’s not in the mood to pose, I love taking pictures of good food, the Patterson Park Pagoda, street art, and other dogs.
IN FACT, OMAR HAS BECOME A BIT OF A CELEBRITY, NO? CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT #OMARTHEDOG?
Omar is a two and half year old Boston Terrier named after our favorite character on The Wire. He has a penchant for hooded sweatshirts (#dogsinhoodies) and carrying oversized sticks (#littledogbigstick) around the neighborhood.
I don’t know if he’s quite hit celebrity status yet, but he is pretty popular with the retired set in Canton and Japanese Instagram users. Our cat, Whiskey, on the other hand, is not an Omar fan.
CRAZIEST THING YOU’VE SEEN ON INSTAGRAM
Apart from the scantily clad folks, I’ve been most blown away by the costume culture posts and the #bostonterrier owners who can get their dogs to pose soaking wet in old fashioned tubs with suds on their heads. Omar reacts to baths like the Wicked Witch of the West.
My favorite Instagrams are the ones that keep the subject simple and well-lit. Most of my pictures end up being from the daytime because I hate the grainy quality my iPhone pictures have in low light.
Be creepy and/or mean in the comments.
NAME 5 NEED-TO-KNOW INSTAGRAMMERS THAT YOU FOLLOW:
1. @gaiastreetart: I love seeing the Baltimore street artist’s works in progress.
2. @jasonandrewturner: Jason is a Philadelphia-based artist who does amazing line drawings and other art. He also shoots a nice cat photo from time to time.
3. @evmb: Evan is a photographer who has the “simple and well-lit” aesthetic down. His pictures are beautiful.
4. @mariecadaver: I think I found @mariecadaver one day looking at #costumes. She makes taxidermy jewelry and puts together beautiful Gothic Lolita/Steam Punk/Edwardian costumes that I love.
5. @KOTARO2007: Apparently, when your passion for photographing your Boston Terrier can no longer be contained by a measly hashtag, you graduate to an entire account dedicated to your dog in funny outfits. Today, he dressed like a frog. I liked it.
*NOTE: Until recently, Doane had been living in Baltimore since 2008. She currently lives in Philadelphia.